Working With MATRIC
As an independent provider of contract R&D services, MATRIC offers exceptional value to customers through the expertise of our staff, a large percentage of whom have advanced degrees and years of practical experience. We are committed to bringing a highly professional and independent approach to solving problems.
In MATRIC’s experience, when companies seek to collaborate with outside organizations for process development, R&D or other similar services, there are certain concerns that rise to the top. In MATRIC’s experience, there are two primary worries experienced by these business and technology leaders. Their first key concern is that there may be unknown biases or other incentives that the service provider may hold that could result in less than ideal solutions or recommendations. Secondly, they are concerned that a service provider relationship could jeopardize the company’s long-term intellectual property rights.
MATRIC IS INDEPENDENT
Working with MATRIC, companies can move forward with the confidence that their technology solutions are the right solutions, not just the convenient or best-understood ones.
MATRIC is an independent, non-profit organization that has a deep passion for delivering market-driven innovation. MATRIC is not an equipment or technology reseller that may have a specific bias or incentive to push a specific technology or solution. In addition, MATRIC’s multi-disciplinary team approach ensures that no single individual can bring a specific technology or experience bias to a project. MATRIC’s primary goal is to create value for its customers. Sometimes, this has even resulted in MATRIC recommending that a company not pursue a specific technology route because it was technically or commercially not feasible. MATRIC’s number one goal is to create or protect value for our customers.
MATRIC CUSTOMERS RETAIN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
MATRIC customers retain all intellectual property rights in their technologies and service agreements offer the ability to start and cease work easily and quickly.
For chemical, energy, environment and software based companies and organizations, intellectual property is often the core to value creation in their businesses. Unlike MATRIC, many other companies that offer contract R&D services can have complex intellectual property requirements. Those organizations may be under certain Federal regulatory schemes or have inflexible organizational policies around the allocation of intellectual property rights. MATRIC understands that innovation and technology are core to our customers’ businesses and that, because of this, retaining intellectual property rights is not just a preference, it is a business imperative for many customers. Therefore, MATRIC arrangements with customers are incredibly flexible based upon the needs of the customer and MATRIC does typically not place encumbrances on intellectual property.
MATRIC understands that it is essential that the arrangements be mutually beneficial, since one-sided agreements are unlikely to lead to a continuing relationship. MATRIC is willing to explore a number of mutually beneficial options to make our customer successful in market-driven innovation.
MATRIC considers it extremely important to protect the confidentiality of information received from clients. Some of the steps in place to protect this information are described below.
- MATRIC will not accept project work with a competitor of an existing customer in a similar business area.
- MATRIC executes confidentiality agreements with customers, pledging to protect the data entrusted to us.
- Employees associated with MATRIC sign secrecy agreements to ensure the security of confidential information.
- All confidential information received from customers is handled on a “need to know” basis within MATRIC.
- MATRIC withholds printing of descriptive project titles, or the identity of the client when requested, in annual reports or in other reports to external organizations.
- All external communication of information from customer-supported projects is prohibited, except with written approval of the customer. This applies to any chemical-catalyst-catalyst-testing-chemical-catalyst-chemical-pilot-plant-demonstration-plant-solids-processing-chemical-separations to the press or other media, seminar presentations, and any publications.
- Research notebooks and data records are held confidential and access is permitted only by authorized internal personnel.
MATRIC personnel strive to uphold the highest standards of personal and professional ethics. Our business is conducted with the greatest regard for honesty and integrity. Any situations involving potential conflict of interest will be carefully avoided.
As an early step in pursuing a potential business relationship, we will execute a non-disclosure agreement pledging to protect the information entrusted to us.
The steps below depict how a typical research agreement is developed with MATRIC.
- After initial contact, MATRIC and the potential client will execute a non-disclosure agreement to protect the confidentiality of any information exchanged.
- The two parties then discuss the project goals and potential approaches to be pursued, in sufficient detail that a project proposal may be prepared.
- MATRIC will then prepare a draft project proposal for review by the client, including a project schedule, milestones, and estimated costs.
- After review by the client and incorporation of any revisions, the proposal is converted to one or more Statements of Work.
- A general services agreement is then prepared, which outlines the details of the working relationship. The Statements of Work are appended to this contract.
- After execution of the agreement, work can begin.
“The innovative and driven spirit MATRIC brought to the project is truly unique. Although I have worked with many contractors and consultants (and even consulted myself), none have matched the partnership mentality you all operated by over the years. I believe you all share with myself and my company a common value system of humility, passion, unity, servanthood and thankfulness not just when things are going our way, but more importantly, when our back was against the wall, which happened often over the years. I have appreciated your willingness to contribute creative, balanced opinions that helped shape our thought process.”
A MATRIC Value: “We cherish fast-paced market-driven innovation and life-changing research and development to deliver the best, most cost-effective value proposition for our global customers.”
Contact Robert E. Nunley, M.S. for more information on MATRIC’s engineering services or pilot plant capabilities.
Contact Duane Dombek, Ph.D. for more information on process development or new product R&D.
Contact Mark Dehlin for more information on MATRIC’s software development capabillities.
Contact Jack Dever, Ph.D. to discuss other potential projects, customer partnerships, strategic planning, research strategy, or intellectual property issues.
Contact MATRIC for all other inquiries.